Do I need commercial insurance if I use my personal vehicle for my small business?

When you purchase commercial insurance at BES & Associates Insurance for your small business in Walford, MD, we help you make sure that you have the different kinds of coverage you need. That is why it is so important to have a full discussion with your agent about your business.

While your regular auto insurance covers you while you are going back and forth to work, you may need to have extra coverage if you are using your personal vehicle for work tasks.

What Kinds of Activities Does Commercial Auto Insurance Cover?

If you are involved in an accident while performing work-related duties, your insurance will probably not cover you for the accident. Here are some of the activities that will probably not be covered under your personal policy:

  • Making deliveries for your business.
  • Picking up supplies for your business during work hours.
  • Driving clients around during work hours as part of your service.
  • Other work-related duties where you use your vehicle.

Why Is Commercial Auto Insurance Important?

If your regular insurance does not cover you, your business will probably be liable for any damages from the accident. These may include auto repairs, medical bills, car rental, lost time from work, and any other expenses that are a direct result of the accident. 

Your business could be sued over the accident and may even face fines or other penalties for operating an improperly insured vehicle. A commercial auto insurance policy would protect your business from those kinds of negative consequences. 

If you are unsure whether you need extra protection, call BES & Associates Insurance today so we can answer your questions. Our job is to help you protect your Walford, MD business.